Feed or feedstuffs are processed or unprocessed products fed to livestock and pets. Agroscope boasts a wide range of knowledge and competencies in this field:
- The aim of forage conservation is to produce and preserve optimum-quality feed of high nutritional value at the most cost-efficient price possible.
- The division for Feed Analysis has a vast and modern analytical infrastructure in the domains of chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology and molecular biology.
- The Swiss Online Feed Database contains information across animal species on over 600 straight feedstuffs and roughages available in Switzerland.
- Feed recommendations for ruminants and pigs are retrievable a chapter at a time in the online version of the ‘Green Book’ and ‘Yellow Book’, respectively.
- Agroscope’s calculation programs enable the calculation of the nutritional value of roughage for ruminants and the creation of rations for pigs.
- On behalf of the Federal Office for Agriculture FOAG, Agroscope inspects the manufacture and trade of livestock feed and pet food, and licenses new substances intended for both.