The new pear from Agroscope’s breeding programme is called FRED®.
- Based on crossings carried out in the year 2000 (hand pollination), over 1000 genotypes were planted and evaluated in terms of quality of the trees and fruit.
- Of these, 20 selected genotypes were then evaluated in terms of consumer appeal, shelf life, and susceptibility to fire blight.
- Trials conducted on several sites in Switzerland and Europe ultimately resulted in the creation of the new variety CH201, marketed under the trademark FRED®.
The qualities of the new variety
FRED® boasts several characteristics that are important for producers and greatly esteemed by consumers:
- Value-added for producers: Rapid entry into production, high productivity, tolerance to fire blight
- Value-added for wholesalers: Very long cold-storage shelf life and good transportability
- Value-added for consumers: Juicy, tasty, slightly tart; firm and crunchy flesh, easy to grab-and-go.
The pear is marketed under the registered trademark FRED® by our partner, VariCom.
FRED® is the fruit of 18 years of Agroscope breeding work.