Prevention and integrated control of mycotoxins in wheat, barley and maize
Within the framework of the MycoKey Horizon 2020 project, Agroscope hosted a technological workshop in Zurich, Switzerland from 18 to 19 June 2019.
The workshop provided an exchange platform for government, researchers and companies and strengthened the global knowledge on toxigenic fungal species in wheat, barley and maize.
A panel of experts discussed the main strategies related to prevention and integrated control of mycotoxins, focusing on:
- Cropping factors to prevent mycotoxins in small-grain cereals
- Breeding for resistance in cereals and maize
- Grain cleaning solutions in industry
- Multi-mycotoxin rapid screening methods
- Consumer protection issues
- Suppression of fungal inoculum through intercrops or biofumigation
- Biological control with fungal antagonists
- Prevention strategies – a cereal stakeholders perspective
- Presentation of the MycoKey App for mycotoxin management in wheat and maize
An excursion to the Bühler innovation campus as well as a visit of experimental fields at Agroscope were included in the programme.