Birth of agricultural research
Birth of Agroscope Changins-Wädenswil ACW
Since January 2006 Agroscope (Agricultural Research Institute of the Federal Office for Agriculture) has consisted of the following three research units:
- Changins-Wädenswil ACW Research Station (Plant Cultivation & Plant Foodstuffs)
- Liebefeld-Posieux ALP Research Station (Animal Production & Dairy Farming)
- Reckenholz-Tänikon ART Research Station (Ecology, Economy & Agricultural Engineering)
History of the Wädenswil Research Station
After several decades of private ownership, the "Swiss-German Experimental Station for Fruit Production, Viticulture and Horticulture" was established in the castle in 1890. Its first director was Hermann Müller-Thurgau, who subsequently rose to fame, and is considered the most important pioneer of applied botany. He created the first scientific vine crossings, including breeding the Riesling x Sylvaner vine, from which the resulting white wine took its name. In the 1990s, genetic analyses showed that Müller-Thurgau had made an error. Instead of Sylvaner, he actually crossed the Riesling vine with Madeleine Royale.
In the following 110 years up until today the research station, renamed the "Swiss Federal Research Institute" in 1968, developed into a world-renowned institution.
History of the Changins Research Station
At the end of the 19th century, the vines of West Switzerland were afflicted by disease. This marked the establishment of the Vaud Vine Research Station in 1886. The Swiss Federal Research Institute Changins (RAC) resulted from the amalgamation of the Swiss Federal Research Station for Agricultural Chemistry (founded in 1886), the Swiss Federal Seed Control Laboratory (founded in 1898) and the Swiss Federal Vine Research Station (founded in 1915). From 1976 to 2006 the RAC was based in Changins near Nyon on Lake Geneva.